Monday, January 03, 2011

Happy Birthday, Honey!

Jamie is a New Years' Baby. On Saturday, we celebrated by letting him sleep in, opening gifts, and just hanging out. That evening we were ordering out Mexican food from La Paz and Jamie's parents were coming with a homemade yellow cake with chocolate icing. 
I had Christmas stuff piled in the foyer, all packed and ready to go in the attic. Joel had been pointing at the attic door and I pulled it down and let him see the inside of the attic. As I came down, Jamie thought I was hinting to put away our Christmas decorations. I wasn't but he suggested we get it over with anyway and I agreed. I would say this was about 5:30pm.
After we finished, it was about 5:50pm and Jamie's parents were due to arrive at 6pm. I walked into the kitchen to find evidence of Jonathan at work. On the counter was his methylin (liquid ritalin) and syringes. It was spilled on the counter, floor, and was all over the legs of his pants. I remember the pediatrician saying if ever too much was administered, this was no laughing matter. 
We knew he had not imbibed but called Poison Control. They told us to report to the ER. I told the lady on the line that Jamie's party was in five minutes and what a bummer. She thought I was considering not going to the ER and urged me to go anyway. I told her I was going but just that this was typical.:)
I packed Jono up along with our DVD player and DVD's. Jamie packed me some food and off we went. This was good because Jamie has been the one to go in time's past and I needed the practice. You never know what this boy will do. 
The doctor decided simply to watch Jonathan for four hours since he was doing so well after an hour and we suspected he had not had any of the meds. Jonathan happily watched videos while hooked up to monitors and gave me no problems whatsoever - that is, until, the lady who emptied the trash came in. He went ballistic and started crying. She had on a mask and gloves. He, as I have mentioned before, associates these things with shots and pain. I explained to her why he reacted the way he did and she ripped her mask off saying, "It's okay! See, it's just me!" That did not help. He did not calm down until she left.:)
Jonathan kept asking about Nana, Pops, eating, and Daddy's presents. I explained that he had made a poor choice by getting out his meds and that we would miss the whole party. I didn't want to guilt him but I wanted him to understand that there were consequences more than coming to the hospital. 
We waited for the four hours and packed up at 10pm. Thank you, Children's Hospital, for being so good to us and for working on New Years' Day!
Jamie took the day off to run errands and work on work here at home. When I got home from working out, Jonathan was walking around with a PJ shirt but no pants. Jamie had the portable toilet out and said we were working on potty training today. Jonathan will go on demand but will never tell you he needs to go. He is getting to the point where he is either telling me right before or right after that he has dirtied his pull up, but that is the extent of it. Jamie has mentioned taking a week off from work to get the potty training done.:)
I told Jonathan he was not allowed to soil the furniture or floor - only the potty. I noticed him running to get on a pull up later and I said, "No pull ups. You need to use the potty." Next thing I know he is. I think he did four or five times. He went for a pull up again later and I issued the same command as before. He got on the potty again and pooped!!!!! I know this seems silly but the kid is FIVE YEARS OLD and we are still changing dirty diapers!!!
So, after today we can conclude that the kid can recognize when he needs to go. He simply doesn't mind walking around in a dirty diaper. Pray that we can help him complete this process! Jamie and I are tired of having our house smell like the zoo (I am NOT kidding). Even Joel, who is 18 (19 tomorrow) months old, will look at me right before filling his diaper and says, "Poop." The kid has seen too many poopy diapers.
Here are some pix... Enjoy!


Jamie and his waffle maker. He loves Belgian waffles.
Joel likes to wear hats.
Jonathan has been here...
It is never boring here, that is for sure. The boys go to school tomorrow and while it will be more calm, I am sure I will miss them.
                                         Jonathan and Joel "playing" next to each other.

No comments: