Sunday, June 01, 2008

About a month ago everyone was sick and on antibiotics. Jackson got strep again two weeks ago and I got it again two days later. Jonathan has been fever free and strep free, thankfully. Jamie has maintained good health as well. Both Jamie and Jackson have been fighting a slow spread of poison ivy but no other illnesses.

Friday we were off to the ENT for a check up for both boys - Jonathan for his quarterly hearing check and Jackson to ensure good health before he got his tonsils out this Wednesday. Before we left, Jonathan appeared to swallow something (I think it was a small Star Wars lego part). He looked at me as if to say, "I can't breathe, HELP!" I smacked his back a couple of times and then tried the Himlich (sp?). It seemed to go down and he was fine. He ate breakfast but I was still concerned.

Once we got to the ENT and check ups were complete, I told our ENT about the swallowing episode. He told me we could see if it passed. He also related scary stories of what happens if it doesn't, including that it could get trapped in Jonathan's airway and cut off his air supply. I decided not to mess with that. As we sat in the waiting room while the nurses set it all up, I just cried (very inconspicuously, mind you). Jackson was acting crazy and I was torn - do I discipline him or what? The kid is so used to hanging out in doctor's offices and this is not fair to him. We were all sunscreened, ready to meet friends at the zoo, and this was a kink. While on one hand, I am so thankful for health care and insurance, on the other hand, I have a hard time reconciling this life with the one I expected. I had a two-minute pity party and then told myself to suck it up. I don't see how all of this glorifies God, but so be it.

Nana met me at our house and took Jackson. I took Jonathan to the hospital. He got a chest x-ray which was negative. Then he was put to sleep and our ENT checked his lungs and stomach - no lego piece. So, either it didn't occur and I am now imagining things, it did occur and it is lodged somewhere, or it will pass through his you-know-what. I didn't know what I was signing up for - I assumed it was like tubes - we would get to go home within the hour. Not so. We had to stay for eight hours afterwards which happened to be midnight. We considered going home but Jonathan's oxygen saturation levels and his heart rate kept dipping which sounded an alarm that was irritating so Jamie stayed with him and I came home.

Jamie returned with Jonathan at 8:30 Saturday morning and we got Jackson about an hour later from Nana. What a night! We headed to Men's Wearhouse for Jamie and the boys to get fitted for tuxes - my brother is getting married in three weeks. All the boys are in the wedding - Jonathan's tux is so small and he loved it! We are praying to be healthy for that weekend and that Jonathan will walk down the aisle and not run up to guests in the pews.

Today the boys and I stayed home while Jamie went to church. This is the third week we have done this - either because the boys are sick or to ward off sickness. What with Jonathan's lego emergency and Jackson's upcoming surgery, we opted to stay home. It started raining so we went out and opened up the back of the car. We sat in it and played with the toys in the car and watched the rain. Then we rode bikes. Jackson was enamored with a snail and he gave us play-by-plays of its progress across the driveway and into the carport. The neighbors across the street peered out the window at us curiously. I am sure we looked odd sitting in the car, especially when I let Jonathan sit on the port-a-potty to take care of some business.:) Probably not the best decision of the day on my part...

Please pray for our health as a family. Things could be so much worse for sure, but it can wear on me emotionally. I keep praying that God would be honored and glorified in me and He keeps providing opportunities. I don't always rise to the occasion, so thank goodness for His mercy.

Jackson has his tonsils removed on Wednesday. We are hoping it will be smooth!

Have a great day,
Julie

juliewarren@mindspring.com


Boys playing on Jonathan's beanbag.


Jackson taking a "family portrait."

Jackson took a picture of Jonatha and me after Jonathan's nap (nap hair).

Jackson took a "self-portrait."

Jackson awoke Jonathan with a photo shoot.

More playing on the beanbag.


Jackson took a floor shot of Jonathan trying to wake up. You can also see the layer of crud on the floor thanks to my excellent housekeeping.

Jackson set his Star Wars lego figures up to take pictures.

This one didn't turn out too well.

Jackson took a candid of me and Jonathan looking out the window.:)

Jonathan waking up and happier.

Jackson took video of Jonathan here. As you can tell, Jackson really likes the digital camera.

Jackson and Jonathan "fighting" on the beanbag in Jonathan's room.

No comments: