Friday, May 05, 2006

Jesus Loves Me

Sunday morning I woke up to the sound of "Jesus Loves Me." Jackson's room is right above ours and he was singing to himself. There is nothing like the sound of a child's voice, singing praises. He constantly reminds me to have the faith of a child because I complicate things so much with my analytical brain. He also walks around the house singing, "Jesus, you're my star, my best friend, you're my super hero." He must have learned that one at Mothers' Morning Out because I have never heard it. Again, a reminder from a child of where my focus should be. Yesterday, he took Jonathan's arms, raised them up in the air, and said, "Praise the Lord! Mommy, I just helped Jonathan praise the Lord!" Wow. From the lips of children come the most brilliant things.

Wednesday, Jonathan and I attended Farm Day for the Bell Center. It was a day out at the farm of a retired PT. I knew Jonathan may not remember the animals but I am always on the prowl for new friends, positive people to interact with, who can provide encouragement. It proved to be a good move. I had had some dark days and needed some positive feedback. Tina, another mother, introduced me to her son with DS, Charlie. Charlie is 20 months old and just as cute as he could be. He was wearing a little smocked outfit and had a cute haircut. He could not speak well or walk but was on his way to both. He could sign what he wanted to communicate. It is amazing how different that makes someone appear. If they cannot talk, your perception is so different. The fact that he could communicate really made a difference in the way I perceived his functionality.

Charlie's mom reminded me not to look into the future, which is what I had been doing over the past several days. It always gets me down. The problem with it is that I don't know the future and so my imagination runs wild. It is where Satan gets a foothold in my life everytime. She also said that it is not even accurate to assume Jonathan is going to be where current DS twenty-somethings and up are because most of them have not had the early intervention our kids are getting now. She said she met a young adult with DS the other day and he was entertaining, silly, and very concerned about his hair and clothes. They said he was so refreshing and such an positive picture.

We did not have the Bell Center on Tuesday but our PT from the government organization, Jane, came. She worked with Jonathan and told me at the end that she was very impressed with his progress. Jonathan is rolling - a lot. You put him down and he rolls across the room. When he is placed on the floor, he lies on his tummy and looks around. He is getting very strong. He likes to roll left rather than right. If you push him to roll right, he resists. It must not be as comfortable yet that demonstrates his strength because he is pushing against you. He is also scooting. This child is so determined and works so hard. I am so proud for him! He is doing raspberries with his mouth and has been for a couple of months. He will catch my eye, smile, and start talking. I love it! He is batting at toys and figuring out how to get them to work. He pushed a truck yesterday and I was thrilled. Amazing how excited you get over the smallest things.

Yesterday Jonathan worked with Holley, his PT at the Bell Center. She worked him hard and also commented on his strength and progress. She wants us to start working on helping him to roll to a sitting position. He can already sit well with help, without toddling. She showed me ways to help him prop sit and then to roll to a sitting position. I am having to do what they show me and take notes now so I don't forget what to do.

Jackson is such an asset to Jonathan and I am sure the reverse is true. I could not ask for a more loving relationship. Jackson wants to kiss him, hug him, and hold him all the time. He likes to feed him with a bottle, too.

I talked to a mother this week who found out that she is having a girl who tested positive for DS. I was glad that I could "pay it forward" and encourage her, empathize, and offer advice. I am grateful for the opportunity to help others in this way.

Please pray for our continued good health. Jonathan is over 12 pounds now - pray he continues to grow. Pray that his ear canals are not blocked so he can hear sounds. Blocked ear canals will stunt his ability to speak well and to develop cognitively. Pray for my outlook and that I have a day-to-day attitude rather than venturing to an imagined future. Pray we are positive.

Thank you for your prayers,
Julie:)

No comments: