Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Jonathan's Progress

When I was a senior in high school or college, I went through those years thinking, "This will be the last time I run this race, eat here, go to Homecoming, etc." My thoughts, these days, are in a similar pattern - "The last time I was here I was pregnant" - at the doctor's office, playing outside on our playset with Jackson, downstairs at my in-laws' house, at church, etc. I had no clue as to what loomed ahead for the baby inside me or for the rest of our family. At the least, that kind of thinking can make for a rough day.

Those days are becoming fewer and fewer. Today was a good day - Jonathan and I went to the Bell Center while Jackson went to Noah's Nook - his mothers' morning out program. Jonathan worked with an occupational therapist, a special educator, and a nutritionist. Between the Bell Center and the Shelby Arc Foundation, I am learning so much. At this point, I am probably benefiting more from this than Jonathan. I find it therapeutic as well - on a much different level, of course.

When Jonathan was born, someone told us that we would keep track of every milestone with Jonathan more so than with Jackson. I would not say that is true. I would say we realize how significant they are now and see that we took them for granted with Jackson.

Jonathan was super sleepy today so the therapists could not evaluate him in all the areas they would have liked. They did not check to see if he could track with his eyes because he would not wake up! I have noticed that he seems to sleep one day and is alert the next. I don't know if this is related to his heart or because I have not trained him well with napping. What was affirmed today is that he tends to favor his right side (turns and looks that way rather than left) so we will continue to try to devise ways to lure him to the left. He seems to have good reflexes and to hold his head up well.

The nutritionist was surprised that we are supplementing Jonathan's milk with vegetable oil - I think she questioned its nutritional value. I explained as best I could - that the focus is gaining weight no matter the method. She measured his length (21 inches), the circumference of his head, and his weight. His weight was so encouraging - eight pounds, fifteen ounces! This is an increase of ten ounces since his appointment with his pediatrician on December 29! Praise God!

We go to see the cardiologist tomorrow (Wednesday) at 11am. We hope to find out when Jonathan will have surgery now that he is gaining the appropriate amount of weight. Please pray that we get answers and for wisdom on the doctor's part. We continue to appreciate your prayers and support!

Julie

No comments: