Friday, October 14, 2011

Today Jamie's mom, Betty, took Joel for several hours. I was so grateful. We were supposed to see friends we have not seen in a year this weekend. Partially because of a snafoo on my end, we were unable to do so. It was a rough day because I had been looking forward to it for, oh, a year.:) I got my hair cut, nails done, and went to the library by myself. I grabbed lunch for me and Jamie and took it by his office. It was so wonderful to be alone - it was a nice consolation prize since we were unable to see our friends! Thank you, Betty!


At the end of school today, I grabbed Jono and we waited for Jackson to come out of the building. While we were waiting, one of Jono's classmates greeted him and introduced him to her brother. The little boy first asked if Jonathan had a new hair cut. Then he asked, "What is wrong with his face?" The child knew Jonathan looked different and was innocently pointing it out. I had difficulty not crying right there in front of the school. I needed to remember that this child was not being unkind and that made a big difference.


When Jonathan was born, I envisioned comments like that. I was terrified of looks we would receive. We did get looks when we were out, but often they were more curious or from people enamoured with Down syndrome. I didn't know anything about special needs. I was bitter about being involved in PADS (Parent Advocates Down Syndrome) - that I didn't have a choice. Members often say it is the club you didn't sign up for and didn't ask to be a member of. Jamie and I had just spent four years raising money for the Bell Center. We realized we would have to help this organization for the rest of our lives because of Jonathan - it was overwhelming and we haven't exerted much effort in the last three years on the fundraising side.


However, when Jonathan was two, I became treasurer of PADS and Jamie sat on the board (and still does). We had attended new parent meetings since Jonathan was born and received so much simply from the relationships developed there. We enjoyed giving back but still did not wholeheartedly fundraise. We figured our service was enough at that point and we took time off from fundraising. 


Now that Joel is two, I have my sea legs. I don't feel so overwhelmed and have embraced DS wholeheartedly. I still have my moments but I am ready to get back in the game. I was late this year but I believe in this group and hope that any of you who love us and want to support us will donate - even if it is just $10. If 200 people donated $10, that would be $2000! Easy! You can donate online anonymously - I think some people don't give because they don't want others to see the amount they gave and how it would compare to other donations. Don't let that stop you, please. We will take any donations - large or small. 


If you would like to attend the Buddy Walk, it will be from 2-4pm at Regions Park this Sunday. There will be music, face painting, bounce houses, and more! The actual walk usually begins around 3pm - it is just a loop around the parking lot. There is info below on how to register or donate.


To watch a video of Jono over the last year, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1WXtBNha8

If you want to register to walk with us, go here:
http://www.downsyndromealabama.org/content.asp?id=100740

If you cannot walk with us and want to donate, go here:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/julie-warren-2/2011PADSBuddyWalk
.


Thanks for your support and love,
Julie:)

No comments: