Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Betsy, Check Up, Evaluation

Aunt Betsy came this weekend with her friend, Claire. Their mission in coming was to try out for American Idol. Betsy thought that she would make a spectacle of herself so she could be on TV. Alas, the cameras weren't here. She tried out anyway, singing a Christina Aguilera (sp?) song. She purposely sung off-key and acted as if she was really good. Then she sang "I Saw the Sign" and did hand motions. I wish cameras had been running!

Today I took Jonathan for his nine-month check up. He got his thyroid checked because his head circumference and length had not increased significantly since last we were there. He has very little veins so he howled while they took blood from his arm. I must confess I shed a few tears as well. There is something mean about holding your child down and whispering, "It's going to be okay" while a needle is inserted in their arm, and they cry out in pain. Jonathan weighed 16 pounds at the doctor's office.

After that, we went to the Bell Center for Jonathan's fall evaluation. Jamie was there already and watched Jackson while I answered questions by Jonathan's team of therapists. They were impressed with him and kept saying how fabulous he looked. Jamie and I swapped about halfway through and he continued answering the questions while I entertained Jackson.

Towards the end of the evaluation, the nutritionist talked to me. I am usually a little unnerved by her because her advice is often not the same as Jonathan's pediatrician. She wants Jonathan taking vitamins, me taking vitamins, and us giving him 24 ounces of breastmilk or formula a day. Well, Jonathan's pediatrician says he is getting all the vitamins he needs through his food and me. I should be taking a vitamin and I do (not every day because I am lazy). I am no longer putting out that much milk so we will have to supplement with formula if we feel it is necessary to do what she says. Ugh! However, we want to do what is best for him and what can it hurt? Nothing. She also weighed and measured him. She got slightly different numbers than the pediatrician's office (weighs 15 pounds, 13.25 ounces). But, she said she thought that he looked good in terms of his measurements.

With all that behind us, we are ready to get into the groove of a schedule. We are ready for Mothers' Morning Out to kick in soon. It starts after Labor Day. Jack will go three days and Jonathan will go on one day.

We head to the beach this weekend with the Bishops - one last trip in the sun!

Take care,
Julie

juliewarren@mindspring.com

No comments: